FWCS Pre-Kindergarten Information and Resources
Getting Ready for Pre-K
FWCS offers Title I pre-kindergarten in several elementary schools, as well as programs at Bunche Montessori Early Childhood Center and Whitney Young Early Learning Center. Information about each of the programs can be found in the School Catalog or by calling Student, Family & Community Engagement at 260.467.2120. Admittance to Bunche and Whitney Young, which are magnet schools, is done through the school lottery. In the Title I programs, if there are more pre-K applicants than space available, FWCS will use selection guidelines as prescribed by the U.S. Department of Education, including the academic needs of students, to admit students.
Fort Wayne Community Schools believes in the importance of starting children off right with a high-quality early childhood program. Each of the District’s pre-K programs is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), with the exception of Bunche, which is accredited by the American Montessori Society. Meeting the rigorous accreditation standards of the national organizations is a recognition of FWCS’ commitment to reaching the highest professional standards in educating our youngest students.
Registration for pre-K students takes place in March. Registering early allows parents to learn about the program and help ease their child's transition to school. For those registering for the Title I programs, parents will be able to sign up for a time to bring their child for an assessment of skills. If you are unable to attend the March registration, please contact Student, Family & Community Engagement at 260.467.2120.
- Nutrition Services: If the household has a current food stamp case number, the enrolled student may be automatically eligible for benefits. A Meal/Textbook Benefit Application must be submitted to Nutrition Services or the school office prior to the beginning of the school year to ensure processing and determination of eligibility before the first day of school. Call Nutrition Services at 260.467.2055 for additional information or assistance.
- Transportation: Transportation is provided to students attending their geographically assigned school or a magnet school and living outside the No Transportation Zone. For transportation and school boundary information, please call the Coordinator of Routing at 260.467.1900.
- Our school nurses provide excellent care to all students. Make sure your child is ready for school with the proper immunizations required and other health considerations.
- What immunizations will your child need? Find out here. Immunizations
- Conferences: All pre-K students and parents will receive information from the school with a time and date for a conference before school starts. Students may bring their supplies and meet their teacher at this time.