South Side High School International Baccalaureate
South Side High School is proud to be the only Northeast Indiana high school to offer the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme.
The rigorous, pre-university IB program focuses on the development of the whole person through an international perspective and is available for students in 11th and 12th grades.
This IB Diploma Programme is recognized by many universities during admission selection. And, evidence suggests higher rates of IB Diploma Programme students go on to higher education than non-IB students.
The core elements of the IB program are:
- Theory of Knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and how we know what we claim to know.
- The extended essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- Creativity, activity, service, in which students complete a project related to those three concepts.
The six subject groups are:
- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The arts
More information about the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is available here.
South Side recently added the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) for ninth- and 10th-graders. The MYP curriculum comprises eight subject groups, providing a broad and balanced education for early adolescents. In addition to the six subject groups included in the diploma program, Middle Years also includes physical education and design, which emphasizes the process of finding solutions to problems over the final outcome.
Students in the MYP are encouraged to make practical connections between their studies and the real world, preparing them for success in further study and in life.
More information about the MYP is available here.