South Wayne Elementary School About Us
South Wayne Elementary School was built in 1923 and is named not only after the neighborhood in which it is located, but also from a rich part of history. South Wayne was once a town separate from Fort Wayne. It was incorporated in 1889 and was a separate entity until 1894 when it became part of Fort Wayne.
South Wayne is a Title 1 school and offers the English Language Learners (ELL) program to students for whom English is a new language. The school participates in the Blessings in a Backpack program, which provides students with a backpack full of food to take home over the weekend. Students attending South Wayne feed into Portage Middle School and South Side High School. The school is located in the Board of School Trustees District 4.