Northrop High School 10th Grade Bruin Time
10th Grade Bruin Time Map
Thursday, February 22
Thursday, February 15
No Bruin Time due to ISTEP practice testing
Thursday, February 8
Thursday, January 31
Topic: Course Offerings and Electives
Main Idea: Students will start preparing for scheduling season by learning about the variety of electives offered here at Northrop, reviewing graduation requirements, and looking at the high school math required for admittance to several Indiana colleges.
10th Grade Bruin Time Map
Thursday, November 16
Topic: Northrop Motto Ideas and Digital Abuse and Social Media
Main Idea: Students will provide input regarding a possible new motto for Northrop High School. Students will reflect on digital abuse and setting their own digital boundaries.
- Northrop Motto Ideas PTSA Contest - Teachers, give completed forms to Trina.
- Digital Abuse Prezi
- Discussion Questions and Talking Points Guide
Thursday, November 9
Topic: Veterans Day
Main Idea: Students will reflect on the meaning of Veterans Day and write letters to veterans or active duty service members.
1. Video Tribute to Veterans (3:23)
Thursday, November 2
Main Idea: Students will understand what bullying is and the best ways to for both victims and bystanders to handle bullying situations.
- Opening Video: (3:31) Bullying Jr.
This is actually a current Burger King Commercial that has “gone viral.”
Suggested Discussion Questions:
- Why would a fast-food company make a commercial that focuses on bullying?
- What do you think the commercial was trying to demonstrate?
- Video II: (4:00) 2015 Anti-bullying Video Updated
This includes statistics about bullying and a compilation of pictures of bullied kids who turn out to be celebrities who were bullied as children.
Suggested Discussion Questions:
- Were you surprised that the celebrities in the video had been bullied? Why or why not?
- What do you think motivates people to bully others?
- StopBullying.gov Information Sheet: StopBullying.gov handout
- Handout II: Bullying: Student Stories and Feedback
Past Activities This Quarter
Thursday, October 26
It’s the last Thursday of the month so this week is "Flex Time!"
Thursday, October 19, 2017
Topic: End of the quarter data review
Main Idea: Students will reflect on the end of the nine weeks and discuss/analyze student feedback from earlier in this quarter.
Discussion questions after reviewing handout:
- Thinking only about what is positive, what is the best thing about Northrop?
- What is one thing that seriously needs improvement?
- What additional clubs/activities would you like to see at Northrop?
- What additional classes would you like to see offered here?
- What suggestions do you have to make BT more beneficial to you?
- Do you regularly attend athletic events? Plays? Other school activities? Why or why not?
Thursday October 12, 2017
Cancelled due to field trips and end-of-quarter deadlines.
Thursday, October 5, 2017
Topic: Bus Safety, PSAT FAQ handout, Flex Time Reminders
Main Idea: Students will watch the state mandated bus safety video and review bus and parking lot safety issues. Additionally, students will reflect on last week’s initial "Flex Time" and be reminded about the necessity of following the proper Flex Time procedures.
Bus Safety Video (12 min)
**During today’s Bruin Time, please remind students about the basic BT "Flex Time" procedures:
1) A student should get a green BT ticket from the teacher whose classroom he/she will visit during BT (ONLY a green ticket--no other type of pass will be honored)
2) The student MUST report to his/her regular BT class and present the ticket to his/her regular BT teacher
3) The regular BT teacher will take attendance first, then initial the ticket--at this point, the ticket will function as a pass to visit the other classroom
4) The student MUST sign-out of of the regular BT classroom before leaving
5) The student will remain in the visited classroom until the end of BT
Thursday September 21, 2017
Topic: Understanding the Grade Book and Study Skills
Main Idea: Students will understand the summative and formative assessment categories and how Pinnacle utilizes the FWCS grade scales. Students will learn research based study skills and reflect on their own study habits.
Optional Articles and Activities:
Repeating Materials from last week:
Thursday September 28, 2017
Topic: Bruin Flex Time
Main Idea: Students will have time to relax, work on homework or projects, or use a pass from one of their teachers to visit and receive help on a particular subject. Teachers may also use this time to play card games or board games with their students to continue to build relationships.
Bruin Flex Time Passes (3 per sheet) -- prior to flex time, these passes are issued by the teacher the student wants to go and seek help from
Bruin Flex Time Record Sheet
Thursday October 5, 2017
Topic: PSAT and Test Taking Skills and Bus Safety
Main Idea: Students will go over FAQ on the PSAT (given to all sophomores and juniors who elect to on October 11th) and review test taking strategies for standardized tests.
PSAT Frequently Asked Questions
PSAT sample questions
Tips for standardized test questions
Bus Video - video is off to the right
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Topic: Intro to Bruin Time
Main Idea:Students will gain a better understanding of the purpose of Bruin Time and will get to know their Advisor
Get to Know Your Advisor (Handout for Teacher)
Ice Breaker Activities
More Ice Breaker Activities Note: this is a link to one article with three activities: Blobs and Lines, Concentric Circles and This or That
Thursday, August 31, 2017
Topic: Getting to Know You: Making the most of your high school experience
Mindshift Motivational Video (5:14)
Thursday, September 7, 2017
Topic: We Are Northrop!
Main Idea: Rules and Procedures, Building a Community
Thursday September 14, 2017
Topic: Flex Time and Student Feedback
Optional Goal Setting Materials: