About Irwin Elementary School
Irwin Elementary School is named for John S. Irwin, who served as superintendent of Fort Wayne Community Schools from 1875-1896. His first career was as a doctor at Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. When his health failed, he became a bookkeeper for the private banking firm of Allen Hamilton in Fort Wayne. He stayed in banking for about 20 years until his health, again, forced him to resign. In 1865, when he was still a banker, he was appointed to the city school board. Ten years later, when Superintendent Dr. James Smart was elected state superintendent of public instruction (and later president of Purdue University), Dr. Irwin was elected superintendent of the city schools.
Irwin Elementary was built in 1927 with Miss May Griffith serving as the first principal. In the fall of 1989, Irwin became the district’s math and science magnet school. As a magnet school, Irwin does not have a geographical area for its attendance. Irwin students feed into Portage Middle School and Wayne High School. The school is located in the Board of School Trustees District 4. The school is frequently designated a Four Star School by the Indiana Department of Education.