Lane Middle School is named for Chester T. Lane, who was principal of Fort Wayne High and Manual Training School (later Central High School) from 1879-1915. He enjoyed teaching Latin, Greek and geometry. His school was considered among the best in the nation at the time, though for most of his years at the helm, a high school education was only for the elite.
Lane Middle School was built in 1964 with Ralph McClain serving as the first principal. In 2008, the school was named a Pocket of Excellence school by the Indiana Department of Education based on progress made during the previous five years. Students attending Lane primarily come from Abbett, Harris, Glenwood Park and Haley elementary schools and continue on to Snider and South Side high schools. The school is located in the Board of School Trustees District 3.