Snider High School Mighty Panther Marching Band
TO: All Snider Panther Band Members
FR: K.K. & H.H.
RE: Saturday Rehearsal
DATE: August 18, 2017
Saturday’s rehearsal is VERY important! We are going to learn LOTS of drill and LOTS of music! Your attendance is crucial (and mandatory!) The day’s schedule is as follows:
8:30 AM visual rehearsal (learn new drill)
12:00 N lunch break (we will provide lunch at no charge!)
12:30 PM music and guard rehearsal
4:00 PM run-through of show
The next two weeks are extremely critical as we prepare for the start of the competition season. We have all worked for 2 ½ months to prepare for this season. This is a very enjoyable time of the year because we finally get to see the result of our hard work. Be warned: from here on out, our time goes very quickly. We are done with the big blocks of rehearsal time. All we have left is our daily rehearsal. We have to make every hour of rehearsal count. Rehearsal attendance is crucial! You must be in every rehearsal! As a band, you have done a great job so far! Keep it up!
- Make sure you have your summer uniforms ready for Friday, August 25. There will be an inspection! The official dress is black summer band t-shirt, white shorts, white socks, and all-white tennis shoes. No earrings or jewelry.
- Eat before you come back to the school for the game. You will not be allowed to visit the concession stands until third quarter. Please do not allow your parents to bring you food in the stands unless you plan to share with everyone in the band!!
- Sit in your sections with your instrument, and be ready to play at all times. If we have problems with this, we will assign seats in the stands. No instrument cases will be allowed in the stands. No one leaves the stands during first, second, or fourth quarters without a director’s permission.
- You must sit in the designated BAND seating area. The BAND section is reserved for BAND members and parent chaperones only. No one else will be permitted. Tell your non-BAND boyfriends/girlfriends that you will see them during the third quarter (or invite them to join the BAND!)
- Time is always a critical factor at ballgames. When we ask you to move, please do so as quickly as possible, otherwise you will lose your warm-up/mental preparation time.
- Do not play in the stands unless you are being conducted by a drum major or a staff member. All bugle calls, cheers, and cadences must be approved by a director. Save your “chops!”
- When you are in uniform, you are representing the band and the school. People will form an opinion of the band based upon your behavior. Don’t be rude! Watch the language. Be considerate of other people. Obviously, all school rules are in effect at a ballgame, so no smoking, drinking, etc. in or out of uniform.
- Our parent chaperones, truck drivers, bus drivers, and equipment movers are some of the nicest people in the world. They give up literally hundreds of hours so that we can have a marching band program. I know that you will treat them with respect and affection. They are irreplaceable. (You, I can replace!) In a conflict between a parent/adult and a student, the adult will win 90% of the time if it gets to the point where a band director needs to get involved. If you, as a student, have a problem with what you are being asked to do by a parent, do what you are asked first, and then come talk to a director about it.
- All marching band members will help load and unload the semi. Please explain to your parents that no one will be allowed to leave after the game until everything is put away.
- Four students will be assigned to clean up each bus at the end of the trip. They will be assigned by the bus chaperones. Everyone will get a turn! Anyone who fails to help clean the bus during their trip will explain their actions to the band council and will be assigned to clean all four buses for the next two trips.
- All times are approximate, especially return times. If the game goes into overtime, we will be late. When we take out of town band trips, late arrivals past thirty minutes will be broadcast over radio station WOWO.
- No external speaker radios/tape decks/CD players will be allowed on the buses for trips. I-pod type systems with earphones are okay. Any valuables brought on trips are taken at the student’s own risk. The band and school assumes no responsibility for damage, theft, or loss.
- All band members must ride the bus to and from all contests and performances. Any exceptions will be made only with the permission of Ms. Chisley. Written requests must be submitted to Ms. Chisley at least two days in advance. We will not make exceptions!
- You will be allowed to sign up for the bus of your choice. We have asked you to consider your choice carefully. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SWITCH BUSES FOR ANY REASON. Even if you break up with your boyfriend, even if all of your friends are on another bus, NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE!!!!!!!
NEXT WEEK’S REHEARSAL SCHEDULE:
Monday, August 21 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Tuesday, August 22 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Wednesday, August 23 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Thursday, August 24 4:30 – 6:30 PM and 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Friday, August 25 5:00 PM (Football – Carroll)
Monday, August 28 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Tuesday, August 29 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Wednesday, August 30 4:30 – 6:30 PM
Thursday, August 31 4:30 – 6:30 PM and 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Friday, September 1 4:30 – 6:30 PM
MEDICAL & FIELD TRIP FORMS – Please fill out the blue medical form/field trip permission form and return them to school at your earliest convenience. The medical forms must be notarized. These forms must be returned no later than Friday, August 25. Students will not be allowed on the buses for football games or contests without these forms on file.
BAND ATTENDANCE POLICY – Excellent attendance at all marching band rehearsals is a requirement if we are serious about reaching the goals we have set for ourselves. If you are ill and miss school, you are excused from marching band practice. If you become ill at school and need to go home during the school day, you must notify one of the band directors before you leave the building. If you will be late to rehearsal for any reason, you must let your section leader know IN ADVANCE. Section leaders need to let a drum major know IN ADVANCE. The marching band season officially ends ten weeks from Saturday. During our competitive season, we ask each member of the band to make the marching band their number one after school priority. Obviously, academics come first. That is why you are in school in the first place. Work hard in the classroom during the school day so that you enjoy our time together as a band after school. Stay caught up in all of your classes. Don’t get behind. If you need additional academic help, see Mr. Klee or Ms. Hockemeyer, but don’t just cut rehearsal. We will be happy to work with you to work out conflicts, but we must be fair to all members of the band. We can’t grant you special privileges. Please remember that senior pictures, having to go to work, and pre-season conditioning for athletics are not excused absences. Unexcused absences will result in students being ineligible to perform with the band. If you have a conflict, please come and talk with us. The band directors want to work out conflicts amicably.
SATURDAY REHEARSAL – On Saturday, August 19, we have scheduled an all-day marching band rehearsal. The rehearsal will begin at 8:30 AM and run until 4:30 PM. This rehearsal was listed in the original marching band rehearsal schedule that was included in the registration packet. The purpose of this rehearsal is to teach as much drill as possible. Students will have a 30-minute break for lunch. We will provide lunch free of charge!! This is a mandatory rehearsal, and all marching band members are required to attend. Friends and family members are invited to attend the rehearsal beginning at 4:00 PM to preview our “NIGHTSHADE” competition show!
IMPORTANT MEETING – There will be an important meeting of all parent volunteers for the Snider Marching Band Invitational on Monday, August 28, at 7:30 PM in the Band Room at Snider. The Snider “Parade of Champions” is scheduled for Saturday, September 16, at Wayne High School from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. We will need at least 100 parent volunteers in order to make this show run smoothly. The proceeds from the “Parade of Champions” will go to provide trip scholarships to students going on the Florida Trip. In order to be eligible for scholarship funds, students must have at least one parent or family member work the “Parade of Champions.”
FLORIDA TRIP NEWS – The Mighty Panther Marching Band will be traveling to the Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, Florida December 27, 2017 – January 1, 2018. The Marching Band travels once every four years so that every student that participates in Marching Band gets the opportunity to go on a major trip. We will visit the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, and the Animal Kingdom. We currently have 88 people signed up for the trip. The trip price varies depending on how many people make the trip. Cost is $1250 based on 110 passengers. Cost drops to $1139 for 140 passengers. Cost includes bus transportation, hotel for 3 nights, all meals, and all admission fees. The only money the kids would need on the trip is for souvenirs and snacks. We are finalizing our reservations now, so you have until September 1 to register for the trip and begin making payments. To register for the trip:
- Go to www.music-travel.com
- Upper Right – Click the “Trip Login” link
- Select “New User”
- Fill out contact information
- Select “Register a Traveler”
- Enter trip number: 1712-1-86
- Add Traveler/Travelers
- Select “Make a Payment” to Pay Deposit
For more information on the trip, contact Mr. Klee at: Kevin.Klee@fwcs.k12.in.us
Friday Aug. 25 Football Game (Carroll) 5:00 PM Spuller
Friday Sept. 8 Football Game (South Side) 5:00 PM Spuller
Saturday Sept. 9 On the Banks of the Wabash Evening Bluffton
Saturday Sept. 16 SNIDER/DeKalb Invitational Evening
Friday Sept. 22 Football Game (Wayne) 5:00 PM Spuller
Saturday Sept. 23 Northrop Invitational Evening Northrop
Saturday Sept. 30 Homestead Fall Festival Afternoon Homestead
Friday Oct. 6 Football Game (Dwenger) 5:00 PM Spuller
Saturday Oct. 7 ISSMA Scholastic Prelims afternoon Homestead
Saturday Oct. 14 FREE WEEKEND
Friday Oct. 20 Football Game Sectional All Day ???
Saturday Oct. 21 ISSMA Scholastic Finals All Day Law. Cent.
Friday Oct. 27 Football Sectional 5:00 PM ????
Saturday Oct. 28 FREE WEEKEND
Friday Nov. 3 Football Sectional 5:00 PM ???
Saturday Nov. 4 ISSMA State Contest All Day Lucas Oil
Friday Nov. 10 Football Regional 5:00 PM ???
Friday Nov. 17 Football Semi-State 5:00 PM ???
Friday Nov. 24 Football State All Day Lucas Oil