FWCS Students Return Monday - August 11, 2016
Fort Wayne Community Schools will kick-off a new year with students returning Monday, Aug. 15. FWCS officials remind the community to prepare and take extra caution as students and parents return to the streets.
A fleet of 250 yellow buses will be on the roads starting at 6 a.m., and thousands of students will be walking to bus stops or to their neighborhood schools. Drivers should consider leaving a few minutes early when heading to work or school.
"The first day of school is exciting for everyone, and we ask that adults watch out for students walking or riding bikes to school or the bus stop,” Superintendent Dr. Wendy Robinson said.
FWCS transportation officials ask motorists to be observant and patient and to remember that when the stop arm of the bus is out, it means all lanes of traffic must come to a complete stop. Vehicles should not begin moving again until the stop arm is back in place and the bus has started to roll. To assist with the anticipated increase in walkers and bike riders, additional crossing guards will be assigned to various sites throughout the district.
The busiest times for car, pedestrian and bus traffic will be before and after school. School hours are:
Elementary schools – 8:20 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
(Bunche – 8:10 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.)
(Towles – 7:55 a.m. to 2:35 p.m.)
Middle schools – 7:20 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
High schools – 9:05 a.m. to 4:10 p.m.
(FWCS Career Academy – 9:20 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
(Ward Education Center – 9:45 a.m. to 4:40 p.m.)
Transportation officials ask parents to help ensure a safe ride for everyone by discussing the following safety procedures with their children:
When riding the bus
* Observe the same conduct as in the classroom.
* Be courteous.
* Cooperate with the driver.
* Stay in your seat.
* Do not be destructive.
* Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus.
* Do not yell or scream on board the bus or use profane language.
* Inform the bus driver or school official if a problem occurs.
While waiting at the bus stop
* Do not horseplay or act in a way that could cause harm to others.
* Do not play in the street.
* Do not throw things.
* Arrive at the bus stop no more than five minutes prior to scheduled bus arrival.
* When the bus arrives, line up in an orderly fashion, away from the curb, and do not push or cut in line.
* Stay back from the bus until it stops and the driver signals it’s OK to get on.
Staying safe when crossing the street
* Always obey all traffic rules. Never cross against the light.
* Look left, right and left again before crossing.
* Cross in a crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, cross at the corner.
* If the crosswalk has a Walk/Don’t Walk sign, only cross when the sign says Walk.
Fort Wayne Community Schools is a part of the Safe Routes to School Network. For additional information on traveling to and from school safely, visit www.fortwayneschools.org/safe_routes.php.