Schools Wrap Up 2015-16 School Year with Honors, Celebrations - May 10, 2016
Students across Fort Wayne Community Schools will be recognized over the next two weeks for reaching a milestone in their educational careers, whether at elementary, middle or high school. Schools also will honor students who have achieved success in a variety of areas over the course of the school year.
Schools will say good-bye to their fifth- and eighth-graders in recognition, culmination and award ceremonies. The ceremonies honor the work the students have accomplished in their current schools and celebrate the good things to come in their new schools. Many schools also celebrate the successful completion of pre-K or kindergarten, which for many students means finishing their first year of school. High schools also have special events to wrap up the year honoring students.
Following is a list of the ceremonies happening before the end of the school year. All events are at the school unless otherwise listed.
Wednesday, May 11
- Lane Middle School will host a recognition night at 6:30 p.m. at Snider High School, 4600 Fairlawn Pass. Invited students and their guests will enjoy an evening of recognition for the students’ accomplishments for the 2015-16 school year. Students will be called up to the podium individually to personally recognize them for their achievements this school year.
Monday, May 23
- Abbett Elementary, 4325 Smith St., is hosting its Fifth Grade Celebration at 10 a.m.
- Students at Northcrest Elementary, 5301 Archwood Lane, will be honored with Kiwanis Awards at 10 a.m. A student from each class, who has been chosen by a teacher for demonstrated outstanding effort throughout the year will be honored. This award celebrates accomplishments that otherwise might go unnoticed.
- Forest Park Elementary fifth-graders will be celebrated at their final elementary recognition night. Certificates and honors will be awarded and light refreshments will be served at the event, which begins at 7 p.m. at Lakeside Middle School, 2100 Lake Ave.
Tuesday, May 24
- Fourth-grade students at Arlington Elementary, 8118 St. Joe Center Road, will be honored with awards for this school year at 7:30 a.m. The fifth-graders will be recognized in a program from noon-2 p.m., celebrating the students as they prepare to make the next step in their educational process.
- Nebraska Elementary, 1525 Boone St., will celebrate student accomplishments for the year starting with first and second grades from 8:45-9:45 am. Third and fourth grades will be celebrated from 10-11 a.m. Nebraska’s Star Reception will be from 2:15-2:45 p.m.
- Adams Elementary, 3000 New Haven Ave., will have a special lunch for fifth-graders and their parents at 9:30 a.m.
- Bloomingdale Elementary, 1300 Orchard St., will celebrate kindergarten students at a ceremony that begins at 5 p.m.
- Miami Middle School will host its annual awards ceremony to recognize eighth-grade students for academic achievement. The ceremony begins at 5 p.m. at Wayne High School, 9100 Winchester Road.
- Indian Village Elementary will celebrate its fifth-graders in a Culmination Ceremony at 6 p.m. in the South Side High School auditorium, 3601 S. Calhoun St.
- Washington Elementary, 1015 W. Washington Blvd., will celebrate fifth-graders in a ceremony at 6 p.m.
Wednesday, May 25
- Lakeside Middle School, 2100 Lake Ave., will celebrate eighth-graders at a special breakfast at 8 a.m.
- South Side High School, 3601 S. Calhoun St., will have its annual Ivy Day for seniors at 9 a.m. Students wear their caps and gowns and march through the neighborhood. Afterward, they celebrate inside.
- Seniors at Snider High School, 4600 Fairlawn Pass, will celebrate the end of their FWCS career with a Senior Send-Off Parade. They will begin at 9 a.m. by walking down Fairlawn Pass through Snider High School and Glenwood Park Elementary, where many graduating seniors attended. The parade will end in the auditorium where the Nelson Awards will be held followed by the Senior Picnic and Senior Activities.
- Miami Middle School, 8100 Amherst Drive, will celebrate the academic achievements of seventh-grade students at an awards ceremony at 8 a.m. Sixth-grade students will be honored at a ceremony at 9:30 a.m.
- Washington Elementary will celebrate students in kindergarten through fourth grade at an award ceremony at 8:30 a.m.
- Nebraska will celebrate achievements and recognize kindergarten and fifth-grade students. The kindergarten celebration will be from 8:45-9:45 a.m. The fifth-grade celebration will be from 10-11 a.m.
- Bloomingdale will have a special awards ceremony for all students in first through fourth grades at 9:30 a.m. Fifth-graders will say goodbye at a special presentation at1 p.m.
- Harris Elementary, 4501 Thorngate Road, will celebrate students throughout the day. Kindergarten through second grade will be honored at 9 a.m.; third- and fourth-graders will be recognized at 10:30 a.m.; and fifth-graders will be honored at 1:30 p.m.
- Fifth-graders at Franke Park Elementary, 828 Mildred Ave., will be recognized at an awards ceremony at 10 a.m. Families are invited to attend.
- Indian Village Elementary, 3835 Wenonah Lane, will celebrate pre-K students in ceremonies at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.