Schools Honor Students Moving to New Levels - May 28, 2014
Students across Fort Wayne Community Schools will be recognized over the next few days for reaching a milestone in their educational careers, whether at elementary, middle or high school.
Schools will say good-bye to their fifth- and eighth-graders in recognition, culmination and award ceremonies. The ceremonies honor the work the students have accomplished in their current schools and celebrate the good things to come in their new schools. Many schools also celebrate the successful completion of pre-K or kindergarten, which for many students means finishing their first year of school. High schools also have special events to wrap up the year honoring students.
Following is a list of the ceremonies happening before the end of the school year. All events are at the school unless otherwise listed.
Wednesday, May 28
- Northrop High School, 7001 Coldwater Road, will honor the Class of 2014 at the Senior Honors Banquet and Awards Program beginning at 6 p.m.
- South Side High School, 3601 S. Calhoun St., will have its Academic Awards Night at 6:30 p.m.
- North Side High School, 475 E. State Blvd., will recognize athletes during the Athletic Awards Program at 7 p.m. in the By Hey Arena.
- Snider High School, 4600 Fairlawn Pass, will honor the Class of 2014 at the Senior Recognition at 7 p.m.
- Wayne High School, including New Tech Academy, will honor students at the Academic Honors Night at 7 p.m., in the auditorium, 9100 Winchester Road.
Thursday, May 29
- Shawnee Middle School will honor students at an awards night at 6 p.m. at Northrop High School, 7001 Coldwater Road.
Friday, May 30
- Shambaugh Elementary, 5320 Rebecca Dr., will have its Fifth-Grade Celebration 1:45 p.m. The program includes the presentation of awards and a slide show of student activities.
Monday, June 2
- Miami Middle School will celebrate student success with the Eighth-Grade Awards Night at 5:30 p.m. in the Wayne High School auditorium, 9100 Winchester Road.
- Snider High School, 4600 Fairlawn Pass, will recognize accomplishments of students in ninth, 10th and 11th grades at the Honors Program at 7 p.m.
Tuesday, June 3
- Lane Middle School students will be honored at an Awards Recognition Night at 6:30 p.m. at Snider High School, 4600 Fairlawn Pass.
- Academic awards will be given during the Recognition Program at North Side High School, 475 E. State Blvd., at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.
Wednesday, June 4
- Anthis Career Center, 1200 S. Barr St., will host Celebration Day for students at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- South Wayne Elementary, 810 Cottage Ave., will have its kindergarten celebration at 9 a.m. in the cafeteria.
- Adams Elementary, 3000 New Haven Ave., will have a fifth-grade brunch at 10 a.m. Students will be honored with awards and certificates for their accomplishments.
- Washington Center Elementary, 1936 W. Wallen Road, will celebrate its fifth-graders at the Fifth Grade Recognition program at 1:30 p.m.
- Study Elementary, 2414 Brooklyn Ave., will recognize and celebrate its fifth-grade students one final time at 2:30 p.m. During the ceremony the top students in all academic areas will be recognized along with each student receiving a certificate of completion for their hard work and dedication during their fifth-grade experience at Study Elementary.
Thursday, June 5
- Glenwood Park Elementary, 4501 Vance Ave., will celebrate fifth-graders at the Fifth-Grade Recognition at 9:30 a.m.
- Arlington Elementary, 8118 St. Joe Center Road, will have a celebration of fifth-graders from 1-3:30 p.m. Students will be recognized for their accomplishments in the elementary years. They will receive awards, have light snacks, and each student will be recognized for their personal best effort during their fifth-grade year.
- St. Joseph Central Elementary, 6341 St. Joe Center Road, will celebrate its kindergarten students at an event at 1:30 p.m. Harris Elementary, 4501 Thorngate Dr., will recognize fifth-graders in a program at 2 p.m.
- Franke Park Elementary, 828 Mildred Ave., will recognize fifth-grade students for their outstanding achievements during an awards night at 6 p.m.
- South Wayne Elementary, 810 Cottage Ave., will have its fifth-grade awards ceremony at 6 p.m.in the gymnasium.
- Indian Village Elementary fifth-graders will be recognized in a program at 6:30 p.m. in the South Side High School Auditorium, 3601 S. Calhoun St.
Friday, June 6
- South Side High School, 3601 S. Calhoun St., will celebrate Ivy Day at 8 a.m. The traditional ceremony includes a procession by the seniors to symbolize moving on and the planting of ivy.
- Jefferson Middle School, 5303 Wheelock Road, will celebrate eight-graders at a breakfast at 8:30 a.m.
- Irwin Math/Science Elementary, 3501 S. Anthony Blvd., will have an end-of-year Awards Ceremony to celebrate students’ academic success, attendance excellence, and Kiwanis Winners in K-5 from 9:25-11:30 a.m. Guests of honor will be recognized for those same things and will also serve as guests of honor in their Completion Ceremony.
- Adams Elementary, 3000 New Haven Ave., will celebrate the achievements of students during Awards Day at 9:30 a.m.
- Fairfield Elementary, 2825 Fairfield Ave., will recognize fifth-graders in a celebration at 10 a.m.
- Nebraska Elementary, 1525 Boone St., will recognize kindergarten students at 9:30 a.m., followed by the fifth-grade celebration at 10:30 a.m.
- St. Joseph Central Elementary, 6341 St. Joe Center Road, will celebrate its fifth-graders at the Fifth-Grade Recognition program at 9:30 a.m.
- Students in grades three, six and eight will be recognized in a culmination ceremony at 9:30 a.m. at Towles Intermediate School, 420 E. Paulding Road. Students in third grade are celebrated as they move to the 9-12 cluster (fourth-sixth grades) in the Montessori Elementary School. Sixth-graders are celebrated as they move to New Tech Middle School, and eighth-graders are celebrated as they move to high school.
- Weisser Park Elementary, 902 Colerick St., will celebrate its fifth-graders in a program at 9:30 a.m.
- Indian Village Elementary, 3835 Wenonah Lane, will celebrate Achievement Day beginning at 9:15 a.m. Awards will be given to students in grades 1-4.
- North Side High School, 475 E. State Blvd., will celebrate the last day of school with its annual Pride Day beginning at 12:50 p.m. The event includes student entertainment, recognitions and a car-giveaway to a student with outstanding attendance.
- Whitney Young Early Childhood Center, 1026 E. Pontiac St., will celebrate kindergarten students in a ceremony at 1 p.m. All students will wear a cap and receive a certificate of completion of kindergarten. Students will sing “Let It Go” at the end of the ceremony as one of the families releases homing pigeons. Pictures, cookies and celebration parties will happen in each classroom after the big event.
- Croninger Elementary, 6700 Trier Road, will have its Fifth-Grade Recognition Assembly at Faith Baptist Church, 6600 Trier Road, at 1:30 p.m. Following the ceremony, students will return to school for refreshments.
- Lindley International Spanish Academy will celebrate Promotion Day at 1:30 p.m. with all fifth-graders.