FWCS Extends School Day to Make Up Time Lost to Cancellations - February 24, 2014
The Fort Wayne Community Schools Board of School Trustees approved a plan Monday, Feb. 24, to extend the school day by one hour from March 3-April 11, with the exception of Friday, March 28, to make up for time lost to weather cancellations in January and February. March 28 is the last day of school before Spring Break.
FWCS had to cancel classes a record 12 times because of snow, ice and extreme cold. State law (IC 20-30-2) requires public schools to make up lost days. This additional time allows the district to make up four school days, which will move the end of the school year for students to Friday, June 6 (barring any additional closures). Graduation dates and times will remain the same.
The extended schedule is:
- Elementary schools will dismiss at 4:30 p.m. (Normal dismissal 3:30 p.m.)
- Bunche kindergarten will dismiss at 3:20 p.m. (Normal dismissal 2:20 p.m.)
- Bunche P3/P4 will continue to dismiss at normal time.
- Towles Intermediate School will dismiss at 3:35 p.m. (Normal dismissal 2:35 p.m.)
- Title I pre-K will run on normal time in the morning (8:55-11:40 a.m.); afternoon will run from 12:40-4:30 p.m.
- Whitney Young pre-K will run on normal time in the morning (8:55-11:25 a.m.); afternoon will run from 12:45-4:30 p.m.
- Middle schools will dismiss at 3:25 p.m. (Normal dismissal 2:25 p.m.)
- Memorial Park will dismiss at 3:40 p.m. (Normal dismissal 2:40 p.m.)
- High schools will dismiss at 3:35 p.m. (Normal dismissal 2:35 p.m.)
- Ward Education Center will dismiss at 4:05 p.m. (Normal dismissal 3:05 p.m.)
- Anthis Career Center morning programs will run on normal time (7:45-10:45 a.m.); afternoon programs will begin at 12:50 p.m. and end at 4 p.m. for FWCS students.
“We are doing the best we can under extreme circumstances to ensure students have as much time in the classroom as possible prior to spring testing,” Superintendent Dr. Wendy Robinson said. “We understand this may create conflicts with family schedules, but with ISTEP+, IREAD and End of Course Assessments coming up, we need to make up the instructional time now.”
Detailed information regarding classroom schedules, extra-curricular activities, meals and other issues is posted on our website at www.fortwayneschools.org.
Update: With the school closure on March 12, the extended day schedule was extended to Wednesday, April 23.