Schools End the Year by Celebrating Student Successes - June 05, 2013
Fort Wayne Community Schools will wrap up the 2012-13 school year by celebrating student successes. Schools will spend the day highlighting students’ academic, artistic and athletic accomplishments with end-of-the-year award ceremonies. They will also take time to have some fun and even squeeze in some learning before saying good-bye for the summer.
Here are a few events taking place on Friday, June 7:
- Wayne High School, 9100 Winchester Road, will have a breakfast for graduating seniors at 7:15 a.m.
- Blackhawk Middle School, 7200 E. State Blvd., will celebrate student accomplishments with an End-of-the-Year assembly from 8-9:30 a.m.
- Northwood Middle School, 1201 E. Washington Center Road, will have a school-wide assembly from 8-10:30 a.m. to recognize students for academic and athletic accomplishments.
- South Side High School will celebrate Ivy Day at 8 a.m. The traditional ceremony includes a procession by the seniors to symbolize moving on and the planting of ivy.
- New Tech Academy, 9100 Winchester Road, will have a Teen Health Fair from 8:30-10:30 a.m. The fair addresses preventable diseases and health-related issues with a focus on teens. The fair is open to the public. In the afternoon, the school will honor its first graduating class with a mock graduation ceremony at 1 o’clock. The celebration will include speeches, a slide show of the class’s four years together, dancing and popsicles.
- Indian Village Elementary kindergarten students will enjoy a picnic at Psi Ote Park from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Third-grade students will enjoy a picnic from 1-3 p.m. The school will recognize its fifth-graders in a Culmination Ceremony from 10-11:30 a.m. The ceremony includes a presentation showing the fifth-graders throughout the year. A reception will follow.
- Forest Park Elementary, 2004 Alabama Ave., will celebrate student accomplishments during Achievement Day. Students in kindergarten and first grade will be recognized from 9:15-9:45 a.m.; second- and third-grade students will be honored from 9:50-10:20 a.m.; and fourth-graders will be recognized from 10:25-10:55 a.m.
- Fairfield Elementary, 2825 Fairfield Ave., will have an End-of-Year Awards Celebration for fifth grade at 9:30 a.m.
- Harris Elementary, 4501 Thorngate Drive, will honor students with End-of-Year Awards Assemblies. Kindergarten and first-grade students will be honored from 9:30-10 a.m. Second-, third- and fourth-grade students will be honored from 10:30-11:15 a.m.
- Harrison Hill will have recognition programs for kindergarten and fifth-graders. Kindergarten students will be honored at 9:30 a.m. and fifth-graders will be honored at 10:30 a.m.
- Towles Montessori Intermediate School will have a culmination program at 9:30 a.m. celebrating third-, sixth- and eighth-grade students as they move on to the next level.
- Weisser Park Elementary, 902 Colerick St., will have a Fifth-Grade Recognition Program at 9:30 a.m. Parents and families are invited to attend. The fifth-grade students spend the afternoon together eating lunch and going bowling.
- Adams Elementary, 3000 New Haven Ave., will have Awards Day recognizing students in kindergarten through fifth grade at 9:45 a.m. Students will be recognized for accomplishments in art, music, gym, reading, math and attendance, as well as Presidential and Kiwanis awards.
- North Side High School, 475 E. State Blvd., will celebrate the last day of school with Pride Day, an annual tradition recognizing the accomplishments of students in various activities, including academic and athletic achievements. The 1:30 p.m. event also highlights students’ musical talents. The celebration ends with a car give-away. Students with outstanding attendance are entered into the drawing to win a car donated by Kelley Chevrolet.
- St. Joseph Central Elementary, 6341 St. Joe Center Road, will have its Fifth-Grade Recognition Day from 10 a.m.-noon at Epiphany Lutheran Church, 6606 Maplecrest Road. At 1:30 p.m., the school year will wrap up with a school-wide spray down by the St. Joe Township Fire Department.
- South Wayne Elementary, 810 Cottage Ave., will have a Summer Kick-Off Celebration from 4-6 p.m. Families are invited for food (free walking tacos, drinks and dessert), games and dancing with DJ Jerry. Children will receive free learning materials to keep their minds engaged during the summer.