School Choice Lottery
School Choice Lottery Application Process
Fort Wayne Community Schools welcomes all students. Students are assigned to a school based on residence, but as a district of choice, families can also choose another school within the District. FWCS has successfully offered school choice for nearly 40 years. Families interested in applying for a school must fill out an application and submit it by the deadline. All applications received after the on-time deadline will be accepted but considered as late and be placed on the waiting list. A public lottery will be held when applications exceed spots available at a specific school or grade level. Transportation is not provided to students who transfer to another school, except those enrolled in a magnet school or a Program of Study.
School Choice Lottery Applications
Questions? Call 260.467.2120
The FWCS lottery took place Thursday, Feb. 2, 2023. Lottery results are available now at myFWCS Portal.
On-time applications were due Friday, Jan. 13, 2023. Late applications are accepted and will be placed on the waiting list on the myFWCS Portal
Learn About Our Schools
Living Outside FWCS
Students who live outside FWCS boundaries may attend FWCS schools, based on a school’s space availability. Tuition payment may be required. Fees are set in August and may vary from year to year due to changes in public school funding by the State of Indiana. FWCS has the authority (by law) to deny a request for transfer* if the applicant has been suspended or expelled during the twelve-month period preceding the transfer application for the following reasons:
- Suspension for ten (10) or more school days;
- For a violation under I.C. 20-33-8-16 (firearms, deadly weapons or destructive devices);
- For causing physical injury to a student, school employee or school visitor;
- For a violation of a school’s drug or alcohol rules; or
- When the applicant is ineligible to enroll during a period of expulsion or proposed expulsion under I.C. 20-33-8-30.
- *This does not apply to any FWCS intra-district transfers (IDT).
- Any non-FWCS student residing outside of the district’s boundaries petitioning for a transfer into FWCS must have all the following materials returned to Student and Family Support Services:
- Completed Out-of-District Request of Records (Requesting for discipline records for the past 12 months)
- Student and Family Support Services will be responsible for requesting and retrieving the applicant’s records from the previous school. The Out-of-District applications will not be entered into the lottery until the discipline records have been reviewed.