How to Enroll
Fort Wayne Community Schools (FWCS) welcomes all children. Students in FWCS are assigned to a school based on their residence which can be looked up here
Families may also choose a school outside their attendance area by filling out a school choice lottery application.
Parents of students new to FWCS should go to the FWCS Family and Community Engagement Center at 230 E. Douglas Ave. to register and receive other personalized services.
Online registration for 2024-25 opens in the Spring of 2024 at the myFWCS Parent Portal.
Register using these easy steps
Step 1. Determine School Eligibility
- Determine if your address is within our district and which school your child is assigned to based on your home address using our address lookup.
- FWCS registration for pre-K and Kindergarten students begins in March.
- Students wishing to register for pre-K must be four years old by Aug. 1 of the upcoming school year in order to be eligible.
- Students wishing to register for full-day Kindergarten must be five years old by Aug. 1 of the upcoming school year in order to be eligible.
Step 2. Choose Your School
Once you have determined your assigned school you have a choice to make. Stay with your assigned neighborhood school or attend any other FWCS school by taking part in the School Choice Lottery held annually in February.
- To enter the lottery you must apply on the myFWCS Parent Portal during the annual lottery enrollment period. Students are accepted based on space availability. Those students not selected or those who apply after the deadline will be put on a waiting list and will remain at their assigned school.
- Students inside and outside of the FWCS district boundaries are welcome to apply to the school choice lottery.
- Transportation is not provided for students who transfer to another school except for magnet schools and Programs of Study.
Step 3. Gather Your Documents
1. Student ID
- To enroll a child in school, a parent or guardian must provide a birth certificate and the name and address of the last school the child attended.
2. Parent ID
- The parent must present a photo ID and the name of the parent must be on the child’s birth certificate.
- A guardian must provide custodial documentation. Please contact FACE with additional questions regarding guardianship at 260-467-2120.
3. Immunization Requirements
- FWCS requires official immunization immunization records no later than the first day of school. This statement should be accompanied by the physician’s certificates or other documentations.
- A written statement of medical or religious objection may be filed annually. Medical objections must be signed by your physician. Forms are available at each school.
4. Proof of Residency
- During registration, two documents showing proof of residency are required.
- Letter or Check from any governmental agency
- Letter from an attorney or court papers
- Letter from Allen County Office of Family and Children Service
- Social Security Benefits
- Medical doctor, dentist or eye doctor statements
- Established Bank Account statement
- Utility Connect Notice
- Utility Bill dated within the past 60 days
- Lease printed on letterhead from an established apartment / mobile home leasing office with a contact name and phone number.
- If you are temporarily living with a friend or family member, they must be present with you at the time of enrollment, sign an Affidavit of Residence, and provide two proofs of residence in their name. You then have 30 days to produce two proofs of residence in your name.
- Homeless families should contact Student Services for assistance.
Important to note
- A student found to be living outside of FWCS boundaries due to falsification of records will be expelled for legal settlement.
- A student found to be living outside the enrolled school’s boundaries due to falsification of records will be immediately returned to their home school.