Enroll Now for 2013-14
All Children Welcome
Registration will take place at all schools Friday, Aug. 2, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 5, from noon-7 p.m. Students must register at the school they will attend, even if they attended that school last year. Parents should bring all necessary contact information, and those new to the District should bring vaccination records, birth certificates and two forms of proof of residency. Many of the forms parents will need to fill out are available below.
- Indiana State Law (Indiana Code 20-33-2-7) requires that a child must be five years of age by August 1st to be eligible for enrollment in kindergarten. Parents can apply for early entrance into kindergarten by submitting an application. Application forms are available at the Student Services Department, 1200 South Clinton Street. Application may be made through Student Services. Please call 260-467-2120 for further information.
- Students are automatically assigned to a school in the attendance area defined by their residence. To find out where your child is assigned, click here or call Student Services at 260-467-2120.
- You may decide to enroll your child in a magnet school, a high school Program of Study, or a school outside the assigned attendance area. If so, you must complete a transfer application. Students are accepted based on space availability and racial balance. If a school has more applications than space available, names will be selected in a public lottery. Once accepted, students are required to remain at the selected school for at least one year. Once accepted, parents need not apply again. Students not selected in the lottery are placed on a waiting list.
- Complete details and transfer applications can be found in the School Catalog or by calling Student Services at 260-467-2120.
Completed Student Enrollment Forms
Proof of ageTo enroll a child in school, a parent or guardian must provide a birth certificate and the name and address of the last school the child attended, if any.
- Fort Wayne Community Schools requires the parent/guardian of a child newly enrolled in our school corporation to furnish a written statement of the child's immunization record no later than the first day of school. This statement should be accompanied by the physician's certificates or other documentations.
- The parent/s or guardian may file a written statement of medical or religious objection annually. Medical objections must be signed by your physician. Forms are available at each school. However, if an objection is made, the Personal Health History and Student Physical Evaluation should still be completed and returned to the school.
Proof of residenceAny combination of two of the following: (Homeless families should contact Student Services for assistance)
- Letter or Check from any governmental agency
- Letter from an attorney or court papers
- Letter or card from Allen County Office of Family and Children Services
- Social Security Benefits
- Medical doctor, dentist or eye doctor statements
- Established Bank Account statement (Not a newly established account or bank papers indicating you have changed your address with them)
- Utility Connect Notice
- Utility Bill dated within the past 30 days
- Lease printed on letterhead from an established apartment / mobile home leasing office with a contact name and phone number. Hand written leases or those printed from the internet are not acceptable.
- If you are new to the area and residing with a friend or family member, they must be present with you at the time of enrollment, sign a third party document, and provide two proofs of residence in their name. You then have 30 days to produce two proofs of residence in your name.
- A student found to be living outside of Ft. Wayne Community School boundaries due to falsification of records will be expelled for legal settlement.
- A student found to be living outside the enrolled school's boundaries due to falsification of records will be immediately returned to their home school.
Registration for all Fort Wayne Community Schools is conducted in August each year. For this year's schedule, please click here.
FWCS conducts an early registration/orientation for new kindergarten students, usually in April. Registering early allows parents to collect materials to help prepare their student for kindergarten, and gives students the opportunity to become familiar with their school ahead of time. Click here for full information.
If you missed early Kindergarten registration, come to the regular registration in August as noted above.
- meal/textbook benefit application must be submitted to Nutrition Services or the school office between July 27 and August 10 to ensure processing and determination of eligibility before the first day of school. Call Nutrition Services at 260-467-2055.
Transportation:A Transportation Information form must be submitted to the school as soon as possible in order to ensure first day bus pick-up and efficient routing for the school year. A new Transportation Information form must be submitted if relocation occurs. For transportation and school boundary information, please call: Coordinator of Routing: (260)467-1900
Conferences:All Kindergarten students and parents will receive information from the school with a time and date for a conference before school starts. Students may bring their supplies and meet their teacher at this time.